Oak Hammock is located in Gainesville, Florida – one of the nation's top towns. For nearly a decade, Gainesville has garnered national recognition. AARP Magazine named Gainesville as one of the "15 Best Places to Reinvent Your Life" – because the college town has so many options for arts and entertainment, outdoor recreation and some of Florida's finest healthcare facilities.
In 2007, National Geographic Adventure Magazine listed Gainesville among the nation's "50 Best Places to Live and Play," citing the city's championship sports teams and outdoor recreation.
Among Gainesville's other honors:
- #1 among 400 U.S. and Canadian cities in the book "Cities Ranked and Rated."
- #8 among the "Top Ten Value Towns for Those Considering Retirement in 2007."
- One of the "Top Cities for Active Retirees," Sperling's Best Places.
- The "Most Technologically Advanced City" in Florida by Popular Science magazine.
- No. 12 in Forbes Magazine's list of best places to do business and have a career.
- No. 3 small college town for real estate investment by Nuwireinvestor.com.
- First city in the nation to receive a gold-level "Well City USA" award from the Wellness Councils of America
- One of the nation's "Top 20 Retirement Destinations" by Retirement Places Rated
- #1 Most Livable City in Florida and the 7th Most Livable City in the Nation by Money Magazine.
Things to Do in Gainesville:
The Gainesville Sun
Alachua County Chamber
Gainesville Area Chamber of Commerce
Rotary Club of Gainesville
Kiwanis Club of Gainesville
Alachua Alive (arts site)
City of Gainesville Department of Cultural Affairs
Gainesville Sports Organizing Committee
Florida Museum of Natural History
Gainesville Country Club
Gainesville Recreation and Parks Department
The Hippodrome Theatre
Gainesville Friends of Jazz and Blues