Partnerships and research
Affiliation with the University of Florida
Unlike most other university-affiliated communities, Oak Hammock has a true symbiotic relationship with UF. The University of Florida didn't just lend its name to the project; it was integrally involved in every step of development – providing valuable input from a variety of colleges ranging from Fine Arts to Pharmacy to Veterinary Medicine. The relationship between Oak Hammock and UF benefits community members and the university alike. For example:
- Because our 22,000-sq.-ft. Fitness Center is affiliated with UF's College of Health and Human Performance, attention has been paid to the smallest detail – from installing the right equipment to calibrating the ideal temperatures for the swimming pools.
- The College of Dentistry has an affiliation with our on-site Dental Suite.
- The College of Veterinary Medicine provides an on-site Pet Clinic, volunteer opportunities on campus, and pet sitters and walkers for Oak Hammock members.
- The College of Pharmacy consults with members about their medications and presents ongoing education classes.
- Our UFHealth Senior Care Clinic at the Health Pavilion is staffed by the College of Medicine through an affiliation agreement.
A Unique Relationship with Shands Hospital: The Shands Oak Hammock Advantage
Oak Hammock is especially proud of our special relationship with UFHealth Shands Hospital, the teaching hospital associated with the University of Florida. In partnership with Oak Hammock, UFHealth Shands Hospital has created the Oak Hammock UFHealth Advantage program, open to any member of our community at no additional cost. The program provides members with direct access to in-patient and out-patient healthcare services, wellness programs, and physicians and surgeons at the University of Florida and UFHealthShands Healthcare. Other benefits include:
- Health and wellness seminars and screenings
- A personal health profile and assessment
- One number medical concierge services
- Assistance with referrals
Research at Oak Hammock
An important part of living at Oak Hammock is our close partnership with the University of Florida. In addition to the educational and cultural opportunities this partnership affords, Oak Hammock also offers members the opportunity to participate in research studies and clinical trials.
The Board of Directors at Oak Hammock has appointed a University of Florida faculty liaison to review all protocols. This review has two major functions. First, the liaison provides a single point of contact, so members and researchers can find out about the latest research studies and offerings in one convenient location. Second, the liaison screens all studies seeking to recruit participants at Oak Hammock. In addition to protecting the safety and comfort of members, the liaison also strives to maintain an orderly flow of research projects, so that members have a reasonable number of opportunities to select from at any time.
If your proposal is approved, your flyer will be emailed to the Oak Hammock Dean of Residents, who will disseminate it to independently living Oak Hammock members. Members will be directed to contact investigators as indicated on your flyer.