Partnerships and research
Affiliation with the University of Florida
Unlike most other university-affiliated communities, Oak Hammock has a true symbiotic relationship with UF. The University of Florida didn't just lend its name to the project - it was integrally involved in every step of development, providing valuable input from a variety of colleges ranging from Medicine and Nursing . . . to Pharmacy . . . to Veterinary Medicine. The relationship between Oak Hammock and UF benefits community members and the University alike. Here are just a few examples:
- Because our 22,000-sq.-ft. Fitness Center is affiliated with UF's College of Health and Human Performance, attention has been paid to the smallest detail - from installing the right equipment to calibrating the ideal temperatures for the swimming pools.
- The College of Dentistry staffs an on-site dental suite.
- The College of Veterinary Medicine operates a Veterinary Clinic at Oak Hammock, offering routine wellness care. Pet sitting is also offered.
- The College of Journalism and Communications helps to support high-tech community TV and radio stations.
- The College of Fine Arts provides performance venues and entertainment options, both at Oak Hammock and on campus at state-of-the-art facilities.
The Oak Hammock/UF relationship is a "win-win" if ever there was one.
A Unique Relationship with Shands Hospital: The Shands Oak Hammock Advantage
Oak Hammock is especially proud of our special relationship with Shands Hospital, the teaching hospital associated with the University of Florida. In partnership with Oak Hammock at the University of Florida, Shands Hospital has created the Oak Hammock Advantage Program, open to any member of our community at no additional cost. The program provides members with direct access to in-patient and out-patient healthcare services, wellness programs, and physicians and surgeons at the University of Florida and Shands Healthcare. Other benefits include:
- Health and wellness seminars and screenings
- A personal health profile and assessment
- One telephone number to schedule physician appointments
- Assistance with referrals
Research at Oak Hammock
Oak Hammock is a Life Fulfilling Community®. An important part of the Oak Hammock life is our close partnership with the University of Florida. In addition to the educational and cultural opportunities this partnership affords, Oak Hammock also offers members the opportunity to participate in research studies and clinical trials.
The Board of Directors at Oak Hammock has formed a research Advisory Committee. The committee has two major functions. First, the committee provides a single point of information, so that members can find out about the latest research studies and offerings in one convenient location. Second, the committee screens and approves all studies seeking to recruit participants at Oak Hammock. In addition to protecting the safety and comfort of members, the committee also strives to maintain an orderly flow of research projects, so that members have a reasonable number of opportunities to select from at any time.
The links below provide further information for members, and for investigators, about research at Oak Hammock. Investigators seeking to recruit at Oak Hammock should carefully read and follow the policies outlined below. No investigator may recruit without explicit written approval of the Oak Hammock Research Advisory Committee.